The Municipal Court has criminal jurisdiction over misdemeanors, which are primarily offenses with a maximum punishment of a $1,000 fine and a county jail term of one year or less. Examples of a misdemeanor violation are: shoplifting (depending on the value of merchandise), prostitution, vandalism, and drunk driving.
The processing of a misdemeanor follows this order:
An arrest is made – police take defendant to jail. Three things can happen:
- The defendant is released – no charges filed.
- The defendant bails out (CALL 619-232-2245) or is released on his/her own recognizance, also known as “OR” and is scheduled for arraignment.
- The defendant remains in custody of the sheriff/law enforcement agency and is brought to court for arraignment.
Arraignment & Plea – defendant is brought to court.
- Defendant is informed of charges.
- Defendant is informed of his/her constitutional rights.
- An attorney is appointed. If the defendant wishes to have an attorney but cannot afford one of his/her choice, the court will appoint one.
- Bail is set by the court, or the defendant is released on “OR”, or the defendant remains in custody.
- Defendant enters a plea – guilty, not guilty, or no contest.
Bail Concierge does not give out legal advice. For more information about your case, please consult your attorney or a legal professional.
Your family’s freedom is priceless. From start to finish, our goal is to turn your freedom into triumph. We work with you and your family every step of the way, even coming to your home so that you don’t have to leave the comforts of your household. We understand the arduous process of dealing with a family members arrest. Call (619) 232-2245 and gain your freedom to triumph! Bail Concierge offers FREE Bail Bonds information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and payment plans starting at $0 down on approved credit. We are experts in large bonds, 1275 PC holds and do not charge an annual renewal premium.
Want to know more about how the bail process works CLICK HERE